Building homes for private sale does not address the housing crisis
- Croydon has 4,500 households on the waiting list for council homes
- More than half of private tenants are dependent on housing benefit because rents have soared
- Almost 1,000 families were made homeless last year as a result of unaffordable private rents
- The number of empty homes in Croydon has risen by 400 per cent since 2013
- House prices have rocketed, putting them beyond the reach of most local Croydon residents.
Against this background, the Croydon Assembly is staging what it calls an emergency meeting at Ruskin House on October 18 entitled “Wanted: policies for a housing emergency”.
View original post 215 more words